Family Promise’s Mission:
To help homeless families achieve lasting independence. They partner with 29 local congregations, hundreds of volunteers and community resources to provide meals, hospitality and temporary shelter. Family Promise of Blount County’s mission is to unite the faith community, volunteers, and community resources to provide meals, temporary shelter, and social services to families without homes, enabling them to achieve lasting independence. A strong spirit of collaboration is evident in the structure of the program. Area faith communities provide overnight accommodations and support, while local social service agencies and volunteers provide the necessary resources to enable families to emerge from temporary crisis situations and become self-sufficient.
So How do they do that?
- They are in constant need of donations such as towels, laundry soap, toiletry items, diapers, toothbrushes, feminine products, paper towels, etc. which can be dropped off at any time. Simply use the contact info above.
- They also provide a “move out box” for families who are moving into their own homes; cleaning supplies, any items to help them get their new place set up, and gas cards. More information on this can be found by contacting the directors.
- Mentors and volunteers are needed to be with the families Saturday morning and afternoon, and Sunday from 12 to 5.
- Evening hosts are needed from 5-8pm to eat, support and fellowship with the families
- Overnight hosts are needed. These are people who stay with the families overnight.
- Volunteers to help with laundry are needed.
- Mechanics are needed. Cars are always on their last leg when the families get to Family Promise.
If any of these areas interest you, please get involved with Family Promise. They are a fantastic organization, they are great to work with and they need all the help they can get!